Civil ceremonies are performed at the Circuit Court by appointment only.  The Circuit Court is located at 105 S. Central Ave., Clayton, MO 63105.  For details and to arrange an appointment for a civil ceremony, please call 314 615-2666

You will need to show a certified copy of your marriage license at the motor vehicle and driver licensing offices of the Missouri Department of Revenue and most Social Security offices. Please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue or Social Security office for details.

  • Make an appointment at to apply for a marriage license during regularly scheduled work days, Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. Both parties must be present at the appointment.
  • Bring valid government issued ID like your driver’s license or passport.
  • Know or show your social security number.
  • Bring $57.55 cash for the license, a keepsake license and a certified copy of your marriage license. The certified copy is optional (cost $9.55). The fee must be paid in cash and is non-refundable.

Marriage license records are available from 1877 to present.


USPS mail or drop if off in the Clayton lobby:  Recorder of Deeds, 41 S Central Ave, Clayton, MO 63105.  Please include a check or money order made payable to ‘ROD’ for $9.00 for each certified copy, and a self-addressed stamped envelope or current cost of postage;


Online through our third party provider at Official Records Online.  The cost for online request is $9.00, plus a service fee of $10.00 and the current cost for return postage.

You may apply for and obtain your marriage license and get married on the same day.  The marriage ceremony must be within 30 days from the date the license was issued.  The license must be returned to our office within 15 days of the ceremony by the officiant or the license will be void.

  • Both parties, 16 years or older, must be present to apply for a marriage license.
  • No applicant age 21 or older may marry anyone under age 18.
  • Applicants age 16 or 17, need to bring a certified birth certificate and a parent to give consent to the application. If parents are divorced, the consenting parent must provide court papers to prove custody.  An additional fee of $1.00 cash must be paid at the time of application for each parental consent.
  • Applicants may not be related to each other through and including first cousins.
  • Previously married applicants must provide date of divorce decree.
  • Non-U.S. citizens must present valid government-issued photo ID along with a certified English translation of all non-English documentation used.